The use of essential oils for therapeutic purposes dates back almost 6,000 years. Ancient civilizations from Greece to Egypt and from India to China used essential oils in perfumes, drugs, and cosmetics, as well as for therapeutic, hygienic, spiritual, or ritualistic purposes.
One of the most popular essential oil scents, then as it is today, is lavender. A lavender heat wrap used as a microwavable neck wrap, for instance, can be used to ease stiff muscles and relieve stress while giving off a wonderful aroma. But why lavender, above all other oils or scents? Here are a few amazing facts about the powers of lavender for pain relief, as well as its long history of proven benefits:
- Lavender oil is believed to have anti-inflammmatory effects. That means it can reduce muscle swelling that causes stiffness, joint pain, headaches, and even insect bites.
- Lavender is also antiseptic, making it a natural choice for soaps. In fact, the word “lavender” comes from the Latin lavare, which means “to wash.”
- Lavender oil was used as a disinfectant for wounds during World War I. It can also be used to soothe burns and prevent scarring.
- These beneficial effects aren’t limited to physical treatments, either. Lavender has also successfully been used to treat depression, insomnia, anxiety, and stress, so an aromatherapy neck pillow might also help you feel and sleep better.
- English farmers often carried lavender flowers in their hats during the summer to prevent headaches and sunstroke.
- Lavender oil has long been a staple in beauty and skin care products, too. It is thought to promote better circulation, which can lead to a more vibrant glow.
- Lavender has also long been used to ward off pests and insects, from bed bugs to mosquitoes to mice.
When you use a lavender heat wrap as a microwave heating pad, then, you’re not only getting the benefits of hot/cold therapy, you’re also experiencing the powerful healing of an aromatherapy neck wrap. Soothing muscle aches and tension is just one way that lavender helps calm and rejuvenate the body. With its antiseptic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant properties, this flower truly is a modern-day miracle worker when it comes to our health, inside and out.