Good blood circulation is necessary to properly distribute oxygen and blood throughout our body’s system. Without good circulation, we suffer from fatigue and poor focus while putting ourselves at greater risk of heart disease and stroke.
There are a variety of conditions which can cause poor blood circulation to your legs and arms. However, as we work more desk jobs that involve sitting for long periods of time even our everyday activities can cause poor circulation.
That being said, here are a few ways you can help to improve your body’s blood circulation to keep yourself healthy and happy.
- Heating pads with aromatherapy. Heat wraps can be bought without a prescription and are great for helping to improve blood circulation. When you leave a heat wrap on the body for 20 minutes at a time, the heat opens your blood vessels which decrease vascular resistance and therefore improves blood flow. Aromatherapy can also have a similar effect, which makes aromatherapy and heat go well together.
- Use a standing desk. While you may not be able to keep away from your desk without failing to get your work done, you don’t necessarily need to sit down and work. A standing desk allows you to type on your computer while changing position from sitting to standing. This can not only improve blood flow to your legs but also reduce stress from muscle tension especially considering 40% of American workers report their job is very or extremely stressful.
- Get a massage. If you’re able to, consider getting a deep tissue massage. Massage is clinically proven to help reduce muscle tension and improve blood flow. This is because massage therapy delivers direct pressure to the muscles.
- Exercise. Exercise is one of the best ways to naturally improve your body’s blood flow. If you’ve been sitting for a while, consider standing and walking for at least 15 minutes. Be sure to keep your hands elevated above your heart to prevent poor blood flow to your hands.
- Give smoking a break. Smoking can cause poor blood circulation because the tobacco in your cigarettes causes your blood vessels to constrict. As a result, your body’s vascular resistance is increased.
Heat wraps can help to improve blood circulation, relax the muscles, and help you get a better night’s rest. For more information on heat wraps, heating pads, and the benefits of aromatherapy contact Sunny Bay today.